Co-viewing is an essential bonding experience for Malaysian families, from going to the cinema to watch a Hollywood blockbuster film or just watching TV at home after a home-cooked meal. With the rise of streaming services like Netflix, watching the best of what entertainment has to offer with your family has never been this accessible. Today, Malaysians are able to enjoy their go-to local and international favourites whenever and wherever they want on any Internet-connected device.
“We know there is no one type of family. We embrace all kinds of creators so we can tell unique and diverse stories that resonate with each and every Netflix family. We want to give families more moments to share the laughter, wonder and connection that comes from being immersed in a great story.” said Melissa Cobb, Vice President of Kids and Family at Netflix.
While the brand is committed to offering a wide selection of stories, for all ages, cultures, sensibilities and moods, ensuring a safe viewing environment for all has always been a top priority, and kids are no exception.
This is where parental control features come in handy. Parental control measures can be a vital tool in assisting to ensure the safety of their children online as they are able to limit or restrict access to specific content that they deem inappropriate. To ensure that the entertainment is suitable for the whole family, Netflix has built-in a series of features and controls that can be accessed via the website on any desktop that help parents adjust and personalise the selection of content that is made available for the whole family.
1. Viewer Profiles for Kids
Netflix allows users to create different profiles, which are categorised by “adult” and “kids”. If you’re on a Smart TV, you will not be able to customise your profile beyond turning on the option “For Kids”. Instead, hop on to the Netflix website on any desktop where you can choose and Manage Profiles from the upper right hand corner of your screen.
Titles with adult material can only be accessed by a profile with the “all maturity level/adult” level, while profiles set at “for teens and below” are limited to titles with the “13 years old” ratings and below.
Kids profiles also have two levels, “for older kids and below” (7 and below) and the second is “for little kids only” (for all ages).
For parents who want to prevent their children from watching horror films and explicit love stories, they can easily set the ‘Allowed TV shows and movies list’ to “for little kids only” level.
2. Choose Your Categories
There are four maturity levels for parents to choose from. Depending on the maturity level selected, users will be able to access and view content that is appropriate for each of those levels.
- For little children only - suitable for all ages (rated G, TV-Y, or TV-G)
- For older children and younger - suitable for older kids (rated PG, TV-Y7, TV-Y7-FV, or TV-PG)
- For teens and below - suitable for teens (rated PG-13 or TV-14)
- All maturity levels - mature content
Parents are able to create more precise profiles for each family member and set maturity levels based on their age. Ensure that you click to save when you are done for the Netflix profile.
3. Setting Up Your PIN
If your pre-teen is still able to access your profile to watch Conversations with a Killer: The Ted Bundy Tapes, you can opt for an extra safety net by setting up a 4-digit PIN that will allow you to restrict particular content that you deem unfit for your children. This applies across all the profiles, deterring kids from circumventing it by switching to your account.
To set up your PIN on the Netflix profile, go to My Account by clicking on your account avatar on the top right hand corner of the page. Scroll down until you find Settings, under which you will see Parental Controls.
You will then be asked to enter your Netflix password. This is the same password that is used to access your user account. Once your PIN is saved, you will be able to select the maturity level of the profile and enter the name of the programme that you want to restrict.
Each time your child wants to watch that specific programme, they will need to enter the PIN.
PIN controls can also be set up via the Netflix mobile app for both Android and iOS.
4. Monitoring Your Child’s Netflix Activity
To offer a better piece of mind for parents, Netflix allows users to access the Viewing Activity via your Account area.
Parents will be able to view a list of the recently watched shows and movies on the profile to ensure that they are fully aware of the content consumed by their children.
If you are worried about your own viewing history or want a clean slate of recommendations, Netflix also allows you to delete your Netflix Viewing History.
It can take up to 8 hours for changes to parental controls or maturity levels to take effect on all your devices. To expedite this process, sign out of your Netflix account on the device you want to watch on, then sign back in.
5. Spoilt For Choice
Nearly 60% of Netflix members enjoy kids and family content every month on a global basis. We assembled a list of our favourite shows and movies that are currently streaming on Netflix.
- Puss in Book: Trapped In An Epic Tale Puss in Boots has fallen into a magic book ruled by a Sneaky story teller. Only you can help our hero find his way in this interactive story.
- Our Planet Experience our planet’s natural beauty and examine how climate change impacts all living creatures in this ambitious documentary of spectacular scope.
- You vs Wild You vs. Wild is a survival show starring and following Bear Grylls in every episode on a survival show taking place in various remote locations around the world, and with a key feature of a branching narrative with multiple choices within the episode, where a user may direct the course of the story.
- Nailed It! Home bakers with a terrible track record take a crack at re-creating edible masterpieces for a $10,000 prize. It’s part reality contest, part hot mess.
- Mighty Little Bheem An innocent toddler’s boundless curiosity -- and extraordinary might -- lead to mischief and adventure in his small Indian town.
- Larva Island Stranded on a tropical island, two silly larva buddies find slapstick fun in everything from discovering food to meeting new animal friends.
Netflix is the world's leading internet entertainment service with over 148 million paid memberships in over 190 countries enjoying TV series, documentaries and feature films across a wide variety of genres and languages. With these features and controls, parents no longer have to worry when watching Netflix with the whole family.